Mentors who are offering their time and skills to the Coder Girl Hack Day taking place at Dogpatch Labs are asked to review and sign a Mentor Code of Conduct.
The Coder Girl Hack Day Mentor Code of Conduct addresses the appropriate levels of behaviour for mentors in order to fall in line with child protection best practice. The Mentor Code of Conduct aims to ensure maximum safety for both the participants and the mentors on the day. The safeguarding of event participants will always be a key priority as we recognise that the welfare of the child is of paramount importance in our work.
Code of Conduct
Adults interacting with young persons and children as a mentor are in a position of trust and influence. They should always ensure that young persons and children are treated with integrity and respect, and the self-esteem of young people is enhanced.
All adult actions in mentorship should be guided by what is best for the young person or child and carried out in the context of respectful and open relationships. Physical, emotional or sexual abuse and neglect of any kind or threat of such abuse is totally unacceptable.
- Please avoid unnecessary physical contact with the participants.
- Please do not exchange personal contact information with the participants.
- Avoid one-to-one mentoring outside of event premises or after the event.
- Please abide by safety rules given by the event’s safety appointee.
- Treat each person equally regardless of age, gender, ability, ethnic origin, cultural background or religion.
- Never use foul language or provocative language/gestures in the presence of a participant.
- Be positive so that participants leave with a sense of achievement and an increased level of self-esteem.
- If you witness any behaviour that you find disturbing—be it by mentors, participant parents, or participants—please call it to the attention of the event’s safety appointee who will then advise Coder Girl Hack Day representatives.
I have read and understood the Coder Girl Hack Day Mentor Code of Conduct. I agree to adhere to the Code of Conduct while acting as a Coder Girl Hack Day programme mentor at Dogpatch Labs premises. I also declare, by signing this document, that I have no criminal convictions that would render me unsuitable for work with young persons or children.